Sunday, May 25, 2008

Marilyn Monroe


"I'm very definitely a woman and I enjoy it." -
Marilyn Monroe
Having 1st of June as our birthday is probably the only thing which me and Marilyn Monroe have in common, other then we are both women :)

She is a blonde bombshell, a sex symbol of her times and beyond, but I see her as a woman who, despite having a rough and deprived childhood (her father was unidentified and her mum was mentally unstable), overcame the odds and reached her dreams to become a star.

If Audrey Hepburn is like a goddess from the heavens, then Marilyn Monroe is one which literally exists among men on earth.

Hepburn is the embodiment of classic beauty, elegance and transcends time, almost impossible for any woman to emulate or can claim to be. She is talented and inspiring through her work with UNICEF.

Whereas Monroe's ability to make men succumb to her beauty and sexiness is something which women would love to possess, albeit some jealousy and envious ;) She is real as she is, never trying to be something she isn't, less then perfect but that's what many of us are :)

Marilyn Monroe & Feminism
- Extracted from an article from The Guardian, it's an interesting read abt Monroe & her symbolism in feminism :

Quote : "Feminists today are citing her life as an example of how sexism objectifies women, ruining their lives in the process. She has become for them a potent symbol of how bad things were for women in the 50s, when the job options were simple: housewife or sex kitten. It, she, was all about serving men. Where was the equality?"

Quotes from Monroe :
- If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question I've got to follow it through. What am I supposed to do - look intelligent?


- People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts, then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one.

- I love to do the things the censors won't pass.

- It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.

- Some people have been unkind. If I say I want to grow as an actress, they look at my figure. If I say I want to develop, to learn my craft, they laugh. Somehow they don't expect me to be serious about my work.

- Everyone's just laughing at me. I hate it. Big breasts, big ass, big deal, Can't I be anything else ? Gee, how long can you be sexy?

- I restore myself when I'm alone.

No comments: